🍂 Calm After Chaos

Sunday 12 August 2018


Wıᴛh ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd ın hᴀnd (mosᴛɭy fıᵹʊɾᴀᴛıvєɭy, ᴛhoʊᵹh qʊıᴛє ofᴛєn ɭıᴛєɾᴀɭɭy), my hoᴛbɭoodєdnєss hᴀs ᴀbᴀᴛєd foɾ ᴛhє ᴛımє bєınᵹ ᴀnd I hᴀvє bєєn mʊch moɾє concєɾnєd ᴀboʊᴛ ᴛhє pɾoᴛєcᴛıon of ᴛhє єxısᴛınᵹ ɭıfє ᴛhᴀᴛ wє ᴀɭɭ hᴀvє. Thıs ıncɭʊdєs (ın oɾdєɾ of ımpoɾᴛᴀncє ᴛo mє) Һᴀɭᴀınndochᴀs, ᴛhє Єxıɭєs (who coʊɭd ᴛєchnıcᴀɭɭy sʊɾvıvє wıᴛhoʊᴛ ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd), ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd ıᴛsєɭf, ᴀnd Ashєɾ ᴀnd hєɾ spɾıᵹᵹᴀns.

My ɾєᴛʊɾn ᴛo ᴛhє Ashdown Wood wᴀs mєᴛ wıᴛh ᴀ vᴀɾıєᴛy of ɾєᴀcᴛıons. Բoɾ sᴛᴀɾᴛєɾs, ᴀs I ᴀɾɾıvєd єᴀɾɭıєɾ ᴛhᴀn noɾmᴀɭ, Tınkєɾ Tᴀbby wᴀs ᴛhєɾє, jʊsᴛ ᴀboʊᴛ ᴛo hєᴀd oʊᴛ ᴛo Aɾdıc! Sıncє shє wᴀs cᴀᴛchınᵹ mє soonєɾ ᴛhᴀn noɾmᴀɭ, shє ᵹıfᴛєd mє wıᴛh my foɾᵹoᴛᴛєn ınqʊıɾy - ᴀn єnchᴀnᴛєd ᵹɭovє, whıch ᴀɭɭowєd mє ᴛo ᴛoʊch ᴀnd єvєn hoɭd mєᴛᴀɭ wıᴛhoʊᴛ pᴀın oɾ fᴀᴛıᵹʊє ᴀs ɭonᵹ ᴀs ᴛhє mᴀᵹıc on ıᴛ wᴀs ᴀcᴛıvᴀᴛєd. To mє ıᴛ wᴀs woɾᴛh fᴀɾ moɾє ᴛhᴀn ᴛhє ᴀmoʊnᴛ of ᵹoɭd shє ɾєqʊєsᴛєd ın єxchᴀnᵹє, bʊᴛ shє woʊɭd onɭy ᴀccєpᴛ ᴛhє ᴀmoʊnᴛ of ᴛhє pɾodʊcᴛıon ın ᴀddıᴛıon ᴛo hєɾ vєndoɾ's fєє, ᴛhoʊᵹh shє ᴀccєpᴛєd my ʊnєndınᵹ ᵹɾᴀᴛıᴛʊdє bєfoɾє dєpᴀɾᴛınᵹ ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє Mısᴛs.

Thє Chıɭdɾєn of Aʊᴛʊmn ᴛhєmsєɭvєs wєɾє cʊɾıoʊs ᴀboʊᴛ ᴛhє ᵹɭovє bʊᴛ moɾє cʊɾıoʊs ᴀboʊᴛ my ɾєcєnᴛ ᴀcᴛıons ᴀnd my chᴀnᵹєd ᴀppєᴀɾᴀncє. Wıᴛhoʊᴛ spєcıfıcᴀɭɭy mєnᴛıonınᵹ ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd, I hᴀvє ᴛoɭd ᴛhє Єxıɭєs ᴛhᴀᴛ I hᴀvє mᴀdє sıᵹnıfıcᴀnᴛ pɾoᵹɾєss dєvısınᵹ ᴀ wᴀy ᴛo ɾєcɭᴀım ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood Gɾovє, ᴛhoʊᵹh wє ᴀɾє sᴛıɭɭ fᴀɾ fɾom ᴀ fınᴀɭ soɭʊᴛıon ᴀnd I wıɭɭ sᴛıɭɭ nєєd ᴛhєıɾ coopєɾᴀᴛıon ᴀnd ᴀssısᴛᴀncє. Sєvєɾᴀɭ hᴀvє ᴀskєd mє ᴀboʊᴛ ᴛhє nєw bɭʊє vınє ᴛᴀᴛᴛoos on my foɾєhєᴀd, ᴀnd whıɭє I hᴀvє ᴛoɭd ᴛhєm ıᴛ wᴀs ᴀ ɾєsʊɭᴛ of my ɾєcєnᴛ ᴛɾıᴀɭ on bєhᴀɭf of ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood, I ᴀɭso honєsᴛɭy hᴀvє no cɭʊє whᴀᴛ ıᴛ sıᵹnıfıєs oɾ whᴀᴛ єffєcᴛs ıᴛ mᴀy bє hᴀvınᵹ on mє. Thє Єxıɭєs hᴀvє ᴛᴀkєn ᴛhıs ᴀᴛ fᴀcє vᴀɭʊє; Һᴀɭᴀınndochᴀs ıs єnchᴀnᴛєd by ıᴛ ᴀnd ɭıkєs ᴛo ᴛɾᴀcє ıᴛ wıᴛh hєɾ fınᵹєɾs ovєɾ ᴀnd ovєɾ, whıch ıs ᴀɭwᴀys ᴀdoɾᴀbɭє ᴀᴛ fıɾsᴛ bʊᴛ ᴛhєn sᴛᴀɾᴛs ᴛo chᴀfє ᴀᴛ my skın ᴀfᴛєɾ ᴀ ᴛᴀoıdє.

Ashєɾ knows ɭıᴛᴛɭє moɾє ᴛhᴀn I do, bʊᴛ єvєn ᴛhᴀᴛ smᴀɭɭ bıᴛ of knowɭєdᵹє wᴀs wєɭcomє ᴛo ɾєcєıvє. Shє vєɾıfıєd ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhє bɭʊє vınєs ᴀɾє moɾє ᴛhᴀn jʊsᴛ ᴀ ᴛᴀᴛᴛoo, bʊᴛ ᴀ mᴀɾk on my spıɾıᴛ ıᴛsєɭf fɾom my ᴛımє ın ᴛhє Բıɾsᴛ Բoɾєsᴛ (ᴀnd ᴛhʊs ᴛhє ɾєd vınєs on my fɾıєnds' fᴀcєs mʊsᴛ bє ᴛhє sᴀmє ᴀs wєɭɭ). Thєy ᴀɾє sᴛɾonᵹɭy connєcᴛєd ᴛo nᴀᴛʊɾє, ᴀnd hᴀvє ᴛhє fєєɭ of ᴀn ᴀʊɾᴀ of hєᴀɭınᵹ; fʊɾᴛhєɾmoɾє ᴛhєy sєєm ᴛo єxʊdє ᴀ ɾєsısᴛᴀncє ᴛo bєınᵹ Բᴀє cʊɾsєd, bʊᴛ bєyond ᴛhᴀᴛ Ashєɾ wᴀs ʊncєɾᴛᴀın whᴀᴛ єɭsє ıᴛ mıᵹhᴛ sıᵹnıfy.

If I hᴀvє fᴀıɭєd ᴛo mєnᴛıon ᴛhє Mıɭıᴛᴀnᴛs ʊp ᴛo ᴛhıs poınᴛ, ıᴛ ıs noᴛ bєcᴀʊsє ᴛhєy hᴀvє noᴛ mᴀdє ᴀny moᴛıon ᴀᵹᴀınsᴛ ᴛhє Ashwood Ƿıᴛh oɾ ᴛhє Cᴀmp Sᴀncᴛʊᴀɾy. Ɋʊıᴛє ᴛhє conᴛɾᴀɾy, dʊɾınᵹ ᴛhıs ɭᴀsᴛ cóıcıᵹєs ᴛhєy hᴀvє ᴀᴛᴛᴀckєd onє ɭocᴀᴛıon oɾ ᴛhє oᴛhєɾ ᴀᴛ ɭєᴀsᴛ fıvє ᴛımєs, bᴀsıcᴀɭɭy єvєɾy fєw dᴀys, qʊıckɭy ᴀnd dєcısıvєɭy wıᴛh sᴛɾᴀᴛєᵹıc opєɾᴀᴛıon. Yєᴛ oʊɾ dєfєnsєs, ᴛhoʊᵹh ofᴛєn ᴛᴀkєn by sʊɾpɾısє, ᴀɾє sᴛɾonᵹ ᴀnd fᴀıᴛhfʊɭ, ᴀnd whєnєvєɾ oʊɾ opposıᴛıon bєcomєs ᴛoo mʊch foɾ ᴛhє Mıɭıᴛᴀnᴛs ᴛo hᴀndɭє ᴛhєy sımpɭy ɾєᴛɾєᴀᴛ ᴀnd ᵹo ınᴛo hıdınᵹ foɾ ᴀ fєw moɾє dᴀys.

Wє hᴀvє bєєn foɾᴛʊnᴀᴛє ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhєɾє hᴀvє bєєn no mᴀjoɾ cᴀsʊᴀɭᴛıєs dʊɾınᵹ ᴀny of ᴛhєsє ɾᴀıds. Thєɾє hᴀvє howєvєɾ bєєn mʊɭᴛıpɭє ınjʊɾıєs, ᴛo Һєᴀɾᴛwood Chıɭdɾєn ᴀnd Ashdown Spɾıᵹᵹᴀns ᴀɭıkє, ᴀnd ᴛhє hєᴀɭınᵹ skıɭɭs of ᴀɭɭ oʊɾ joınᴛ schoɭᴀɾs ᴀnd mєdıcs (ıncɭʊdınᵹ mysєɭf) hᴀvє bєєn cᴀɭɭєd ınᴛo ᴀcᴛıon mʊɭᴛıpɭє ᴛımєs. Cʊɾıoʊsɭy I hᴀvє sєєn єxcєpᴛıonᴀɭ ɾєsʊɭᴛs ın ᴛhє pᴀᴛıєnᴛs whosє ınjʊɾıєs oɾ poısons I hᴀvє ᴛɾєᴀᴛєd; whєᴛhєɾ ᴛhıs ıs dʊє ᴛo ᴛhє fɾєqʊєncy of my pɾᴀcᴛısє oɾ possıbɭy ᴀ connєxıon ᴛo ᴛhє bɭʊє vınєs ᴀs Ashєɾ sʊᵹᵹєsᴛєd, I coʊɭdn'ᴛ honєsᴛɭy sᴀy.

Iᴛ sєєms ᴛo mє, howєvєɾ, ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhєɾє ıs ᴀ dєєpєɾ pʊɾposє ᴛo ᴛhєsє ᴀᴛᴛᴀcks ᴛhᴀn sımpɭy ᴛєsᴛınᵹ oʊɾ dєfєnsєs. I cᴀnnoᴛ dєᴛєɾmınє ᴛhє pᴀᴛᴛєɾn ın ᴛhє Mıɭıᴛᴀnᴛs' movєmєnᴛs, noɾ sєє whєɾє ᴛhєy mıᵹhᴛ bє ᴛᴀɾᵹєᴛınᵹ ᴀ pᴀɾᴛıcʊɭᴀɾ pєɾson (єvєn Ashєɾ hєɾsєɭf) oɾ ᴀɾєᴀ oɾ ᴛypє of dєfєnsє. Ƿєɾhᴀps somєonє moɾє combᴀᴛ-mındєd mıᵹhᴛ bє ᴀbɭє ᴛo sєє ᴛhє pᴀᴛᴛєɾn, bʊᴛ I hᴀvє noᴛ fєɭᴛ comfoɾᴛᴀbɭє ɭєᴀvınᵹ ᴛhє Ashwood jʊsᴛ yєᴛ ᴛo ᴀsk onє of my ᴀdvєnᴛʊɾınᵹ compᴀnıons foɾ ᴀdvıcє. I know I wıɭɭ hᴀvє ᴛo ɭєᴀvє єvєnᴛʊᴀɭɭy ᴀs ᴛhєɾє ıs ᴀnoᴛhєɾ Єɭoɾıᴀn Mᴀɾkєᴛ Dᴀy comınᵹ ʊp, ᴀnd ᴀᴛ ᴛhє vєɾy ɭєᴀsᴛ I wıɭɭ nєєd ᴛo ɾєᴛʊɾn ᴛo Aɾdıc ᴛo ɾєᴛɾıєvє my ɾєcєnᴛ oɾdєɾ fɾom Tınkєɾ Tᴀbby.

Thєn ᴛhєɾє ıs, of coʊɾsє, ᴛhє oᴛhєɾ concєɾn nᴀᵹᵹınᵹ ᴀᴛ ᴛhє bᴀck of my mınd. Jʊsᴛ bєcᴀʊsє I hᴀvє ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd doєsn'ᴛ mєᴀn ᴛhᴀᴛ ɾєcɭᴀımınᵹ ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood ıᴛsєɭf wıɭɭ bє єᴀsy. Thєɾє ıs sᴛıɭɭ ᴛhє mᴀᴛᴛєɾ of ᴛhє Dɾєᴀd Coʊɾᴛ's hoɭd ovєɾ ᴛhє ᵹɾovє, ın fᴀcᴛ ᴛhє єnᴛıɾє foɾєsᴛ. I hᴀvє bєєn ᴛhınkınᵹ ᴛhᴀᴛ pєɾhᴀps ᴀɭɭ I wıɭɭ hᴀvє ᴛo do ıs pɭᴀnᴛ ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd, ᴀnd ᴛhᴀᴛ ın ıᴛsєɭf wıɭɭ dɾıvє ᴛhє Բᴀє oʊᴛ sıncє ᴛhє Gɾєᴀᴛ Єnᴛ ᴛoɭd mє ᴛhє sєєd wᴀs ıncoɾɾʊpᴛıbɭє. бʊᴛ ın my spıɾıᴛ I fєєɭ ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhıs soʊnds ᴛoo єᴀsy. Ƿєɾhᴀps I cᴀn commʊnє wıᴛh ᴛhє Gɾєᴀᴛ Єnᴛ somєhow onє moɾє ᴛımє ᴀnd ɾєcєıvє fʊɾᴛhєɾ ınsᴛɾʊcᴛıons, ᴛhoʊᵹh ᴀᵹᴀın, ın my spıɾıᴛ I fєєɭ I hᴀvє ɾєcєıvєd ᴀɭɭ ᴛhє ᴀssısᴛᴀncє I wıɭɭ, ᴀnd pʊɾᵹınᵹ ᴛhє chᴀos Բᴀє fɾom my pєopɭє's woods wıɭɭ ɾєsᴛ soɭєɭy on mє.

Mᴀybє wıᴛh ᴛhıs nєw ᵹɭovє ın my possєssıon, I cᴀn commıssıon ᴀ coɭd ıɾon mᴀcє oɾ somєᴛhınᵹ.

No comments:

©

Grianadhmad of Ardic, the Bulegoan, and the Ipiazak/Apiazak are copyright 2017 Taed T. A. Price.
Hálainndóchas, Dusk, Ilarion Deórsa Ramiel Earthdream, and Leander are copyright 2018 Taed T. A. Price.
All rights reserved.

All other characters are played characters or non-player characters portrayed by members of Alliance Traverse City or Alliance South Michigan members, are copyrighted by their respective players with all rights reserved, and used with permission. Names of respective copyright holders are available upon request.
Other city, region, and place names are copyrighted Alliance Traverse City chapter or Alliance South Michigan chapter with all rights reserved, and used with permission.
Racial descriptions and backgrounds are copyrighted by the overall Alliance LARP organisation with all rights reserved, and used with persmission.