✨ The Optical Occupant

Tuesday 5 March 2019


It has been a long but fruitful stay in kingsmoore and i was more than ready to return to my relatively comfortable room at the kyngeshead · The waystone travel was no more disorienting than usual (i keep meaning to ask banradi about the vertigo) and i was greeted warmly by the innkeeper ⸴ who had preserved my room for the duration of my absence and assured me that everything would be just as i left it; he had not even entered it himself ⸴ and he and i held the only keys ·

My own key duly unlocked my little cube of personal space and i was quite relieved to see the extra little things i had not taken with me to kingsmoore ⸴ but the thing i was most delighted about was the proper bed · At the shelter I had taken to sleeping on a mat ⸴ or a bed of white pine leaves · So I lazily dropped my taming bag and sack of clothes into a chair ⸴ and settled in to take a nice afternoon nap · 

Or intended to · As i laid down however ⸴ there was a tiny yelp and i instantly jolted back up and drew my dagger (whose belt i had forgotten to take off anyway) · But i could not see anything ··· until the creature in question pulled its cloak down · It was a tiny chameleon wylderkin!




After apologising ⸴ putting my dagger away ⸴ and calming the youngling down ⸴ she was able to start talking to me · The poor girl's name was branch · She apparently had found her way into my room ⸴ having found it unoccupied for quite a few nundines ⸴ and decided it was a safe place to stay without considering that i would eventually come back · When i asked why she was looking for a safe place to begin with ⸴ she looked quite sad and said she did not have a home anymore · I gather that something had happened to her parents quite recently ⸴ rather than something like her being kicked out at such a young age · I would place her as being not quite a lustre old ⸴ perhaps only three or four years ⸴ old enough to articulate herself but not to understand a lot of the cruelty of the world ·



To try and lighten the mood i asked her about how she had hidden from me so well ⸴ and her eyes lit up as she started to explain · She told me that chameleons ⸴ and chameleon kyn ⸴ used camouflauge to hide ⸴ and that to a certain extent she could change her skin scales' colour · These were all things i already knew ⸴ but i let her go on so she would feel more comfortable · She did also mention that she had some cloaks which mimicked certain textures ⸴ and she hid under them when her natural camouflauge was insufficient to keep her from being detected · She had a snow cloak ⸴ a grass cloak ⸴ a bark cloak ⸴ and a rock cloak ⸴ all tucked into a little satchel that she carried with her ·

Amidst all these discussions however my mind was racing · What should i do with this little wylderkin? It would not be safe for her back in the forest all alone at this age ⸴ even in normal circumstances ⸴ much less the bitter cold that this winter has brought · Finding my unoccupied room was the best thing that could have happened to her · I was already too invested in her to take her back to the homeless shelter in kingsmoore ⸴ which was too far away from onothera ··· and then i remembered aunt cyn's orphanage ·

I won't bring it up to aunt cyn or to branch yet ⸴ however · I would rather that the young wylderkin trusted me ⸴ so that she can trust i would not recommend the orphanage unless i thought it was the best option ·

In the meantime ⸴ branch said she did not actually need to sleep right then ⸴ but was simply hiding in the bed because i surprised her by coming into the «unused» room · Still there will come a point when we both need to sleep · I've asked the innkeeper to lend me a cot ⸴ ostensibly so i can adjust to having a real bed after my time sleeping on the floor in kingsmoore ⸴ and i can also use it for some of my animal patients · I will help branch keep her presence a secret for a while ⸴ and then she and i can talk about what she needs to do going forward ·


No comments:

©

Grianadhmad of Ardic, the Bulegoan, and the Ipiazak/Apiazak are copyright 2017 Taed T. A. Price.
Hálainndóchas, Dusk, Ilarion Deórsa Ramiel Earthdream, and Leander are copyright 2018 Taed T. A. Price.
All rights reserved.

All other characters are played characters or non-player characters portrayed by members of Alliance Traverse City or Alliance South Michigan members, are copyrighted by their respective players with all rights reserved, and used with permission. Names of respective copyright holders are available upon request.
Other city, region, and place names are copyrighted Alliance Traverse City chapter or Alliance South Michigan chapter with all rights reserved, and used with permission.
Racial descriptions and backgrounds are copyrighted by the overall Alliance LARP organisation with all rights reserved, and used with persmission.