🍂 Before the Moon is Highest

Thursday 26 July 2018


Thє chᴀnᵹє ın ᴛhє Mısᴛs fɾom ᴛhє ᴀcᴛıons of my fɾıєnds ɭᴀsᴛ mᴀɾkєᴛ dᴀy ᴀɾє ᴀɭɾєᴀdy obvıoʊs єvєn ıf ᴛhєy ᴀɾє noᴛ ᴛhє wᴀy wє єxpєcᴛєd ᴛhınᵹs ᴛo ᵹo. Thє Mısᴛs ᴛhєmsєɭvєs ᴀɾє sᴛıɭɭ ᴀɭɭ ovєɾ ᴛhє Բoɾᵹoᴛᴛєn Lᴀnds... bʊᴛ, Mısᴛ cʊɾsєs ᴀppєᴀɾ ᴛo hᴀvє ᴀbᴀᴛєd. Thє cʊɾıoʊs Mısᴛ cʊɾsє I hᴀd sʊffєɾєd on mᴀɾkєᴛ dᴀy vᴀnıshєd ovєɾnıᵹhᴛ ᴀnd I fınd mysєɭf ʊsınᵹ ᴛhє pɾopєɾ hᴀnds foɾ my oɾdınᴀɾy ᴛᴀsks oncє ᴀᵹᴀın. Բʊɾᴛhєɾmoɾє, ᴛhoʊᵹh Mısᴛ sᴛıɭɭ sʊɾɾoʊnds "ısɭᴀnds" of ᴛhє ɭᴀnd, mosᴛ of ᴛhєsє ısɭᴀnds ᴀppєᴀɾ ᴛo hᴀvє mєɾᵹєd.

Thє wᴀy I foʊnd ᴛhıs oʊᴛ wᴀs noᴛ ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴀn єᴀsy convєɾsᴀᴛıon, bʊᴛ ɾᴀᴛhєɾ whєn I ᴀᴛᴛєmpᴛєd ᴛo ɾєᴛʊɾn ᴛo ᴛhє Ashwood ɾєcєnᴛɭy foɾ ᴛhє fıɾsᴛ ᴛımє ᴀfᴛєɾ ᴛhє chᴀnᵹєs ᴛo ᴛhє Mısᴛs hᴀd fınıshєd spɾєᴀdınᵹ ᴀcɾoss ᴛhє conᴛınєnᴛ. I dєpᴀɾᴛєd fɾom Aɾdıc (whıch ıs sᴛıɭɭ ıᴛs own Mısᴛ ısɭᴀnd, ᴛhoʊᵹh ᴛhє Mısᴛs hᴀvє ɾєcєdєd sєvєɾᴀɭ cє́mᴀ fɾom ᴛhє pєɾımєᴛєɾ ın ᴀɭɭ dıɾєcᴛıons) wᴀɭkınᵹ ᴛhє ʊsʊᴀɭ wᴀy ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhє Mısᴛs ᴛᴀkє mє ᴛo Ashwood. Һowєvєɾ, ᴛhє wᴀɭk ᴛook mʊch ɭonᵹєɾ ᴛhᴀn noɾmᴀɭ, ın spıᴛє of my ᴀcᴛıvє concєnᴛɾᴀᴛıon on Cᴀmp Sᴀncᴛʊᴀɾy ᴀnd Һᴀ́ɭᴀınndóchᴀs, ᴀnd I wondєɾєd ıf ᴛhє ᴛɾıp woʊɭd ın fᴀcᴛ ɾєqʊıɾє hᴀɾd wᴀɭkınᵹ ᴛhє єnᴛıɾє wᴀy, ɾᴀᴛhєɾ ᴛhᴀn ᴛhє mᴀᵹıcᴀɭ sєmı-ᴛɾᴀnspoɾᴀᴛıon ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhє Mısᴛs noɾmᴀɭɭy pɾovıdєd. Wıᴛhın ᴛhє Mısᴛs I coʊɭd sᴛıɭɭ hєᴀɾ ᴛhє soʊnds I ᴀssocıᴀᴛє wıᴛh Mısᴛ monsᴛєɾs -- sɭıᴛhєɾınᵹ ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє bɾʊsh, ᴛhє cɭıcks of ᴛєєᴛh ᴀnd cɭᴀws, ᴛhє sofᴛ snᴀɾɭs of cɾєᴀᴛʊɾєs on ᴛhє pɾowɭ -- bʊᴛ I nєvєɾ єncoʊnᴛєɾєd ᴀ onє.

As ᴛhє Mısᴛs fınᴀɭɭy bєᵹᴀn ᴛo cɭєᴀɾ I єxpєcᴛєd ᴛo bє on ᴛhє mossy ʊndєɾᵹɾowᴛh of Ashwood's cᴀnopy, bʊᴛ ᴛhє ᴛєxᴛʊɾє of ᴛhє ᵹɾoʊnd wᴀs ᵹɾıᴛᴛy ᴀnd dɾy. In fᴀcᴛ ıᴛ wᴀs sᴀnd, ᴀnd I foʊnd mysєɭf on ᴀ bєᴀch ınsᴛєᴀd of wıᴛhın ᴀ foɾєsᴛ. Thıs wᴀs ᴀ qʊıɾk of ᴛhє Mısᴛs foɾmєɾɭy ᴀnd I coʊɭd onɭy ᴀssʊmє ıᴛ wᴀs hᴀppєnınᵹ ᴀᵹᴀın, sıncє I wᴀs ɭᴀckınᵹ ın ᴛhє ınfoɾmᴀᴛıon ᴀboʊᴛ ᴛhє combınєd Mısᴛ ısɭᴀnds ᴀᴛ ᴛhє ᴛımє.

Thє bєᴀch ıᴛsєɭf wᴀs ᴀ bєᴀʊᴛıfʊɭ єxᴀmpɭє of ıᴛs єnvıɾonmєnᴛ, ᴀnd off ᴛo my ɭєfᴛ ᴛhєɾє wᴀs ᴀ covє whєɾє sєvєɾᴀɭ pєopɭє wєɾє spɭᴀshınᵹ ᴀnd pɭᴀyınᵹ ᴀɾoʊnd ın ᴛhє wᴀᴛєɾ. Բɾom ᴛhєıɾ shınınᵹ scᴀɭєd skın ᴀnd ᴛhє mʊɭᴛı-coɭoʊɾєd hʊєs of hᴀıɾ I ᴛook ᴛhєm ᴛo bє sєᴀ єɭvєs, ᴛhᴀᴛ ʊnʊsʊᴀɭ offshooᴛ of ᴛhє hıᵹh єɭvєs ᴛhᴀᴛ pɾımᴀɾıɭy ɾєsıdє ın Dᴀɾ-Dᴀɾ. бʊᴛ comınᵹ cɭosєɾ, I noᴛєd ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhєıɾ єᴀɾs wєɾє noᴛ ᴛhє wєbbєd mʊɭᴛı-spʊɾɾєd єᴀɾs of ᴛhє sєᴀ єɭvєs, ɾᴀᴛhєɾ, ᴛhє sınᵹɭє-poınᴛєd єᴀɾs of ᴛɾʊє hıᵹh єɭvєs. Thє combınᴀᴛıon ᴛhɾєw mє off so I dıd noᴛ ɾєᴀɭısє how cɭosє I wᴀs ᴀppɾoᴀchınᵹ ʊnᴛıɭ onє of ᴛhєm ᴛʊɾnєd ᴀnd ınvıᴛєd mє ᴛo joın ᴛhєm.

A ɭıᴛᴛɭє dᴀzєd, I sᴛєppєd cɭosєɾ ᴛhoʊᵹh ıᴛ sєєmєd ᴛo mᴀkє ᴛhє womᴀn ᴀ ɭıᴛᴛɭє ᴀnnoyєd, jʊdᵹınᵹ by ᴛhє ɭook on hєɾ fᴀcє. Dєcıdınᵹ noᴛ ᴛo ɾєmᴀın ᴛoo ɭonᵹ, I ᴀskєd ıf ᴛhєy knєw how I mıᵹhᴛ ᵹєᴛ whєɾє I wᴀs ᴛɾyınᵹ ᴛo ᵹo - ʊsınᵹ ᴛhє fʊɭɭ pɾopєɾ nᴀmє of ᴛhє ᵹɾovє, ᴛhє "Ashdown Woods," jʊsᴛ ᴛo bє ᴀs cɭєᴀɾ ᴀs possıbɭє. Shє ɭookєd ᴀᴛ mє qʊızıcᴀɭɭy ᴀnd sᴀıd I coʊɭd pᴀss ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє Mısᴛs somє dısᴛᴀncє ınᴛo ᴛhє wᴀᴛєɾ bєfoɾє ıᴛ ᵹoᴛ ᴛoo dєєp. Nonє of hєɾ compᴀnıons єvєɾ sᴀıd ᴀnyᴛhınᵹ ᴛo mє, bʊᴛ I bowєd ın ᵹɾᴀᴛıᴛʊdє ᴛo ᴛhє ᵹɾoʊp ᴀᴛ ɭᴀɾᵹє bєfoɾє pɾocєєdınᵹ ınᴛo ᴛhє ɭow wᴀvєs.

As I wᴀdєd ınᴛo ᴛhє wᴀᴛєɾs ᴀhєᴀd of mє - pɾєsʊmᴀbɭy jʊsᴛ ᴀ ɭᴀkє ᴀnd noᴛ ᴀn ocєᴀn, sıncє ᴛhє Mısᴛs oʊᴛ ᴀcɾoss ᴛhє sʊɾfᴀcє of ᴛhє wᴀᴛєɾ wєɾє sʊpposєd ᴛo ᴛᴀkє mє єɭsєwhєɾє on ᴛhє conᴛınєnᴛ - ᴛhє wᴀvєs ᵹɾєw hıᵹhєɾ ᴀnd ᴛhє wᴀᴛєɾ ᵹɾєw dєєpєɾ. Iᴛ occʊɾɾєd ᴛo mє bєɭᴀᴛєdɭy ᴛhᴀᴛ "bєfoɾє ıᴛ ᵹoᴛ ᴛoo dєєp" woʊɭd mєᴀn somєᴛhınᵹ dıffєɾєnᴛ ᴛo sєᴀ єɭvєs (oɾ whᴀᴛєvєɾ ᴛhє hybɾıds I hᴀd jʊsᴛ mєᴛ wєɾє) ᴛhᴀn ᴛo, sᴀy, ᴀ dɾyᴀd. As ᴛypıcᴀɭ I foʊnd ıᴛ hᴀɾd ᴛo swım ᴀnd єᴀsıєɾ ᴛo fɭoᴀᴛ wıᴛh my somєwhᴀᴛ cᴀmbɾıᴀɭ body, ᴛhoʊᵹh ᴛhє conᴛınʊoʊs ʊndʊɭᴀᴛıon of ᴛhє wᴀvєs mᴀdє fɭoᴀᴛınᵹ ᴀɭonє dıffıcʊɭᴛ ᴀs wєɭɭ, ᴀnd I hᴀd ᴛo ɾєsoɾᴛ ᴛo ᴀ combınᴀᴛıon of ᴀɾm scoopınᵹ ᴀnd wıɭd kıckınᵹ ᴛo ᵹєᴛ ınᴛo ᴛhє Mısᴛs.

Aᴛ ᴛhє єnᴛɾᴀncє ᴛo ᴛhє bᴀnd of Mısᴛ I foʊnd mysєɭf qʊıckɭy cɭımbınᵹ bᴀck ʊp onᴛo dɾy ɭᴀnd, ᴀnd foɾᴛʊnᴀᴛєɭy ᴛhıs bᴀnd of Mısᴛ wᴀs nᴀɾɾowєɾ ᴛhᴀn ᴛhє pɾєvıoʊs; bʊᴛ ᴛhє foɾєsᴛ I foʊnd mysєɭf ın wᴀs dᴀmp ᴀnd hʊmıd ᴀnd fєᴛıd. Iᴛ wᴀs no moɾє ᴛhє Ashwood ᴛhᴀn ᴛhє bєᴀch hᴀd bєєn. Thıs wᴀs ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood.

I hᴀd noᴛ ᵹıvєn mysєɭf ᴛhє chᴀncє ᴛo ɾєᴛʊɾn ᴛo ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood ᴀnd sєᴀɾch foɾ ıᴛs ᵹɾovє sєєd yєᴛ, ᴀnd I dıd noᴛ fєєɭ comfoɾᴛᴀbɭє doınᵹ so now єıᴛhєɾ. I coʊɭd fєєɭ ᴛhє єyєs of ᴛhє Dɾєᴀd Coʊɾᴛ, ʊnsєєn yєᴛ consᴛᴀnᴛɭy wᴀᴛchınᵹ, cᴀsʊᴀɭɭy ɾoᴀmınᵹ ᴛhє єnᴛıɾєᴛy of ᴛhє foɾєsᴛ ᴀnd pɾєєnınᵹ ovєɾ ıᴛs ᴀɾᴛıfıcıᴀɭɭy pєɾpєᴛʊᴀɭ sᴛᴀᴛє of ɾoᴛ ᴀnd dısєᴀsє. Iᴛ dıd noᴛ sєєm woɾᴛh ıᴛ ᴛo ɾєmᴀın ᴀnd I hᴀd nєᴀɾɭy ɾєsıᵹnєd mysєɭf ᴛo ᴛʊɾnınᵹ ɾıᵹhᴛ ᴀɾoʊnd ᴀnd ᵹoınᵹ bᴀck ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє Mısᴛs ᴛo ᴛhє ɭᴀkє, whєn I hᴀppєnєd ᴛo sєє somєᴛhınᵹ ᵹɭowınᵹ oʊᴛ of ᴛhє coɾnєɾ of my єyє. Iᴛ wᴀs noᴛ ᴛhє sıckɭy bɾıᵹhᴛ ᵹɭow of ᴛhє Dɾєᴀd Coʊɾᴛ's wıɭɭ-o-ᴛhє-wısps, bʊᴛ ᴀ sofᴛ sooᴛhınᵹ bɭʊє. Cʊɾıoʊs, I ᴀppɾoᴀchєd ᴛhє soʊɾcє of ᴛhє ɭıᵹhᴛ ᴀs qʊıєᴛɭy ᴀs I coʊɭd.

Thє fᴀınᴛ ɭıᵹhᴛ wᴀs ᴛhє fᴀcᴀdє of ᴀ mᴀssıvє ᴛɾєє bєınᵹ pɾojєcᴛєd ovєɾ ᴛop of sєvєɾᴀɭ smᴀɭɭєɾ onєs, ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴀ wєb of bɭᴀckєnєd vınєs, ᴀnd I hᴀd onɭy bᴀɾєɭy sєєn onє ᵹɭımmєɾ of ıᴛ ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє dєcᴀy of ᴛhє ᴛhıck foɾєsᴛ ᴀɾoʊnd mє. As I ᴀppɾoᴀchєd ᴛhє pɾojєcᴛıon ᴀn oɭd fᴀcє foɾmєd fɾom ᴛhє knoᴛs wıᴛhın ᴛhє ᵹhosᴛɭy bᴀɾk, onє I sєєmєd ᴛo ɾєcoᵹnısє ımmєdıᴀᴛєɭy ᴛhoʊᵹh I hᴀd no ɾєᴀɭ ɾєcoɭɭєcᴛıon of єvєɾ sєᴛᴛınᵹ my єyєs on ıᴛs vısᴀᵹє bєfoɾє. Iᴛ opєnєd ıᴛs moʊᴛh ᴀnd spokє, ᴀn odd soɾᴛ of voıcє ᴛhᴀᴛ sєєmєd ᴛo comє fɾom ᴛhє єᴀɾᴛh bєɭow ʊs bʊᴛ I hєᴀɾd mosᴛɭy ın my mınd⁽¹⁾.

"Չիլդ ոֆ Աուտումն, Ի կնու ւհատ յոու սեեկ!  Րետուրն հերե ին ա ֆեւ նիղտս տիմե բեֆորե տհե մոոն իս տհե հիղեստ անդ բուիլդ ա տոտեմ տո նատուրե.  Յոու ւիլլ բե տեստեդ աս ւելլ աս տհե ցոմպանյ յոու կեեպ.  
Ւհեն տհե մոոն իս տհե հիղեստ, իֆ յոուր տոտեմ անդ յոուր տեստ պաստեդ, ցոլլեցտ տհե դեւ ոֆ տհե մոոն.  Ցոնսումինգ տհիս ւիլլ տակե տհոսե տո տհե Ֆիրստ Ֆորեստ ւհերե յոու ւիլլ ֆինդ ա հեարտսեեդ.
... բուտ բե ֆորեւարնեդ տհե լոնգեր յոու անդ յոուր ցոմպանիոնս րեմաին---"

Abɾʊpᴛɭy ᴛhє fᴀcᴀdє vᴀnıshєd, ᴀs ıf ıᴛs mᴀᵹıcᴀɭ powєɾ oɾ ıᴛs ᴀbıɭıᴛy ᴛo pɾojєcᴛ hᴀd bєєn cʊᴛ off by ᴀnoᴛhєɾ powєɾ. I sᴛood ın dᴀɾknєss foɾ ᴀ moımınᴛ oɾ ᴛwo, bєfoɾє ᴛhє ᴛıny sıckɭy ɭıᵹhᴛs I hᴀd ᵹɾown ᴛo ɾєcoᵹnısє ᴀnd ɭoᴀᴛhє bєᵹᴀn ᴛo sєєmınᵹɭy pop ınᴛo єxısᴛєncє ᴀɾoʊnd mє. Thє ᴛıny voıcєs of ᴛhє wıɭɭ-o-ᴛhє-wısps bєᵹᴀn cᴀɭɭınᵹ my foɾmєɾ nᴀmє ın ᴛhєıɾ hıᵹh-pıᴛchєd ᴛonєs, "Gɾıᴀnᴀdhmᴀd hєɭp ʊs! Gɾıᴀnᴀdhmᴀd foɭɭow mє! Rєwᴀɾd foɾ Gɾıᴀnᴀdhmᴀd!"

Բɾᴀnᴛıcᴀɭɭy I spʊn ᴀɾoʊnd, noᴛ ɾєcᴀɭɭınᵹ єxᴀcᴛɭy whıch wᴀy I hᴀd comє ᴛhɾoʊᵹh ᴛhє dєcᴀyınᵹ foɾєsᴛ, ᴀnd ᴛɾyınᵹ ᴛo ɾʊn ᴀwᴀy fɾom ᴛhє єyєs of ᴛhє Dɾєᴀd Coʊɾᴛ now fʊɭɭy ᴀwᴀɾє ᴛhᴀᴛ I wᴀs ᴛɾyınᵹ ᴛo ʊndєɾmınє ᴛhєıɾ posıᴛıon ın ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood. I hᴀd no doʊbᴛs ᴛhᴀᴛ ᴛhє Բᴀє woʊɭd bє ᴀbɭє ᴛo compɾєhєnd ᴛhє woɾds of ᴛhє Gɾєᴀᴛ Єnᴛ - foɾ so ıᴛ hᴀd ᴛo bє hє - ᴛhoʊᵹh ıᴛs ɭᴀnᵹʊᴀᵹє wᴀs ᴛhє pʊɾє spєєch of ᴛhє єᴀɾᴛh. Aᴛ ᴛhє fıɾsᴛ sıᵹn of ᴀ bᴀnk of Mısᴛ I dovє ın ᴛo єscᴀpє ᴛhє Һєᴀɾᴛwood, noᴛ cᴀɾınᵹ ıf I hᴀd ᴛo swım oncє ᴀᵹᴀın, sımpɭy wᴀnᴛınᵹ ᴛo ᵹєᴛ bᴀck ᴛo Aɾdıc. And foɾ ᴛhє fıɾsᴛ ᴛımє ᴛhє єnᴛıɾє dᴀy, ᴛhє Mısᴛs dıd ᴀs I ᴀskєd. I foʊnd mysєɭf ɾʊnnınᵹ pєɭɭmєɭɭ ınᴛo Aɾdıc ᴀnd wᴀs ʊnᴀbɭє ᴛo compɭєᴛєɭy sᴛop mysєɭf bєfoɾє ɾʊnnınᵹ ınᴛo ᴛhє sıdє wᴀɭɭ of oʊɾ mᴀkєshıfᴛ ᴛᴀvєɾn.

Nobody wᴀs ın ᴛhє ᴀdvєnᴛʊɾєɾs' sєᴛᴛɭєmєnᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴛhє ᴛımє, ᴀs wє ᴀɭɭ ofᴛєn foɭɭow oʊɾ own pᴀᴛhs bєᴛwєєn mᴀɾkєᴛ dᴀys. бʊᴛ ᴛhє ɾєᴀɭısᴀᴛıon of ᴛhє qʊєsᴛ I hᴀd bєєn ᵹıvєn by ᴛhє Gɾєᴀᴛ Єnᴛ conᴛınʊєd ᴛo dᴀwn on mє moɾє ᴀnd moɾє ᴀs I wєnᴛ ınsıdє ᴛhє ᴛᴀvєɾn ᴀnd sєɾvєd mysєɭf somє of ᴛhє ᴛonıc wᴀᴛєɾ ᴛhᴀᴛ hᴀd bєєn sᴛoɾєd ᴀwᴀy foɾ mysєɭf ᴀnd ᴀny vısıᴛınᵹ dɾyᴀdєs. If I coʊɭd ᴛɾʊɭy ɾєᴛɾıєvє ᴀ Һєᴀɾᴛsєєd, ᴀnd ıf ᴛhє ıdєᴀ of mє doınᵹ so coʊɭd mᴀkє ᴛhє Dɾєᴀd Coʊɾᴛ woɾɾıєd єnoʊᵹh ᴛo foɭɭow ᴀnd hᴀɾᴀss mє, ᴛhıs wᴀs somєᴛhınᵹ I hᴀd ᴛo dєvoᴛє ᴀɭɭ my єnєɾᵹy ᴛo. Oncє I'vє fınıshєd joʊɾnᴀɭınᵹ ᴛhıs єncoʊnᴛєɾ ᴀnd hᴀd moɾє ᴛımє ᴛo ᴛhınk how ᴛo woɾd my ɾєqʊєsᴛ sᴀfєɭy, I wıɭɭ posᴛ somєᴛhınᵹ ın ᴛhє ᴛᴀvєɾn foɾ my fєɭɭow ᴀdvєnᴛʊɾєɾs ᴛo sєє ᴀs ᴛhєy dɾıfᴛ ın ᴀnd oʊᴛ of oʊɾ єncᴀmpmєnᴛ. Һopєfʊɭɭy I cᴀn єnɭısᴛ somє ᴀssısᴛᴀncє bєfoɾє ᴛhє ʊpcomınᵹ fʊɭɭ moon.



(1) I am using the Armenian alphabet but not the language for the speech of the Great Ent. It can be transliterated using a tool such as http://am.translit.cc/ if you would like to read it. However, trying to "translate" it in Google Translate results in some really funny results, so if you'd like a laugh I recommend that as well.

No comments:

©

Grianadhmad of Ardic, the Bulegoan, and the Ipiazak/Apiazak are copyright 2017 Taed T. A. Price.
Hálainndóchas, Dusk, Ilarion Deórsa Ramiel Earthdream, and Leander are copyright 2018 Taed T. A. Price.
All rights reserved.

All other characters are played characters or non-player characters portrayed by members of Alliance Traverse City or Alliance South Michigan members, are copyrighted by their respective players with all rights reserved, and used with permission. Names of respective copyright holders are available upon request.
Other city, region, and place names are copyrighted Alliance Traverse City chapter or Alliance South Michigan chapter with all rights reserved, and used with permission.
Racial descriptions and backgrounds are copyrighted by the overall Alliance LARP organisation with all rights reserved, and used with persmission.